President Obama is directing the effort to contain and cleanup the damage from the spill—which is now the largest effort of its kind in U.S. history. The President also discussed what the government is doing to help the men and women whose livelihoods have been disrupted and even destroyed by this spill as well as the steps he is taking to ensure that a catastrophe like this never happens again. His full remarks can be found here.
- For information about the response effort, visit www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com.
- For specific information about the federal-wide response, visit http://www.whitehouse.gov/deepwater-bp-oil-spill.
- To contact the Deepwater Horizon Joint Information Center, call (985) 902-5231 or (985) 902-5231.
- To volunteer, or to report oiled shoreline, call (866) 448-5816 or (866) 448-5816. Volunteer opportunities can also be found here.
- To submit your vessel as a vessel of opportunity skimming system, or to submit alternative response technology, services, or products, call 281-366-5511 or 281-366-5511.
- To report oiled wildlife, call (866) 557-1401 or (866) 557-1401. Messages will be checked hourly.
- For information about validated environmental air and water sampling results, visit http://www.epa.gov/bpspill.
- For National Park Service updates about potential park closures, resources at risk, and NPS actions to protect vital park space and wildlife, visit http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/oil-spill-response.htm.
- For daily updates on fishing closures, visit http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov.