People in Jefferson County are now eligible to register for Individual Assistance from the Commonwealth and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as they recover from severe storms, straight-line winds, and flooding on August 4, 2009.
Anyone who suffered damages in Jefferson County may apply by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362), or TTY 800-462-7585 for the hearing or speech-impaired. The toll-free numbers are available seven days a week, 6 a.m. to midnight. Help in other languages is available. Applicants with Internet access may complete an online application at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
FEMA officials said disaster survivors who had damage to their primary personal vehicle can register for disaster assistance if that damage occurred within Jefferson County. Even if individuals are not residents of Jefferson County, but the damage occurred while the vehicle was located in that county, they may be eligible for assistance. Aid is also available for those whose residences were damaged.
When applying for help, be sure to have the following information available:
- A current telephone number where they can be reached;
- The address at the time of the disaster and the address where an individual or family is now staying;
- A Social Security number, if available;
- A general list of damages and losses suffered;
- If insured, the name of the insurance company or agent, contact information and policy number;
- Bank account information if the applicant wishes to speed up assistance with direct deposit.