Posted by: Lawyer Sanders | October 2, 2008

Lawyer Sanders says that mercury poisoning is going to be the next hot litigation topic in toxic tort law.

Mercury is a metal that is a liquid at room temperature. Mercury has been found in Egyptian tombs, indicating it was used as early as 1500 BC. It has also been long known that mercury is toxic to humans.  Mercury poisoning is caused by exposure to mercury or its toxic compounds. Mercury occurs in its (1) elemental form, (2) inorganically as salts, or (3) organically as organomercury compounds.  Mercury can be present in the body as inorganic mercury (mostly Hg2+), metallic mercury (elemental, Hg0), and organic mercury (mostly methylmercury). In high enough doses, all forms of mercury are toxic to humans.   Mercury is a cumulative heavy metal poison, which means it accumulates in the body over time.

The three forms of mercury vary in human health effects due to differences in their absorption and metabolism, and other factors.  However, with sufficient exposure all mercury-based toxic compounds damage the central nervous system and other organs or organ systems such as the liver or gastrointestinal tract. 

Common inorganic sources include air and water pollution, some skin creams, and herbal medicines. Seafood (including fish) consumption is a major contributor of methylmercury to blood total mercury; metallic mercury typically comes from amalgam dental fillings and industrial exposure. Although typically a work place exposure inhaled metallic mercury is readily by the human body. 

Whole blood mercury concentrations are typically less than 6 μg/L, diets rich in fish can result in blood mercury concentrations higher than 200 μg/L.  Mercury has a half-life in blood of about 60 days (range, 31–100) (Counter and Buchanan 2004).

Symptoms typically include sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation and a lack of coordination. The type and degree of symptoms exhibited depend upon the individual toxin, the dose, and the method and duration of exposure.  Mercury poisoning , whether acute, chronic, or subacute, are difficult diagnoses for health care providers because multiple organ systems are affected (eg, CNS, kidney, mucous membranes) and can mimic a variety of other diseases.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1981. 3 hospitalizations, 8 different medications including oral and intravenous chemotherapy for MS, experimental Plasmaphoresis, bedridden for 10 years, slurred speech and dying. I had my dental amalgam mercury “silver” fillings removed and guess what? All symptoms gradually disappeared, NO medication, NO relaspes, NO symptoms, except this left me in a wheelchair! I was MISLED /DECEIVED …the American people are MISLED/DECEIVED…by the ADA and FDA! It’s your decision!
    Linda Brocato
    DAMS-IL

  2. Linda, I too am mercury amalgam poisoned, 5 years in w/chair with all the diabolical symptoms that this poison is capable of while the cda/fda continue to endorse the use of this in Canada, I was robbed of my life at age 20 and gave birth to two mercury poisoned daughters. I questioned dentists repeatedly and was lied to at every turn. I am 54 and haven’t really lived..

  3. I am a Biological dentist and currently writing a book on the topic of amalgam toxicity. I would like to invite both Linda and Kathy (and any other patients who have been damaged by their amalgam fillings) to write to me at acer@ctss.co.za for inclusion of their experiences in the book.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: